Service registration, discovery

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Service registration, discovery

durbinjo593
Has anyone integrated a Ratpack-based API with a service registration and resolution provider -- think ZooKeeper, kubernetes, ZooKeeper, Consul, Etcd, Eureka, etc... I know their offerings are all different to some varying degree but I'm looking for any recommendations on past history. I'd like to run with something as light and simple as possible -- similar to ratpack itself.
rus
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Service registration, discovery

rus
I haven't with Ratpack but have been looking at service discovery options.  I haven't looked at everything you've listed but my limited knowledge in this area is that ZooKeeper is far from "light".  Eureka seems very quick to get up and running, easy to integrate with and well documented.  Consul is also quick to get up and running with Docker https://github.com/progrium/docker-consul.  Also well documented and has a simple REST API for integration.

@danveloper may have better insight.

I intend on adding Ratpack modules for service discovery in H2.  If you'd like to help please let me know, it would be most welcome :)
Reply | Threaded
|

durbinjo593
Sure thing. I'd love to help. How should I reach out and you? Are there any issues opener related to this sorta thing?
rus
Reply | Threaded
|

rus
Great! I just need to check this is a direction we defo want to travel, then I'll get some tickets detailing the work. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you shortly.
Reply | Threaded
|

durbinjo593
In the meantime I'm going to push towards integrating with Consul for kicks and gigs.
rus
Reply | Threaded
|

rus
Sounds good.  

The debate is whether to write our own integrations or leverage the support in Spring Cloud via our Spring Boot integration.  There are pros and cons with both but the overriding thing for me is whether we want to force non Spring users to use Spring just to get this functionality.

So, what you are doing sounds great.  I plan on creating an example app that uses Spring Cloud to see how that looks and we can compare and contrast when we're done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mahesh Mahadevan
Hi,

Is there any update on if service discovery with ratpack was developed along with spring cloud or in any other form?

How easy or difficult is it to do this without in-built support ( if the answer to above question is -ve )?

Thanks,
Mahesh